With their competitors Hype TV and BOJ TV doing live coverage of the 12th Annual Reggae Sumfest in Catherine Hall Montego Bay, RETV wanted to ensure that they had social media coverage of Reggae Sumfest Dancehall Night since the station promotes and carries dancehall music and they were also media coverage sponsors. This was to be done on their social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the focus being mainly on Instagram. After the success of Dancehall Night, the client decided that they also wanted coverage for International Nights 1 and 2. This case study represents the IPP execution of a live social media campaign in the area of entertainment.
To assess if maximum social media coverage was achieved by It’s Pixel Perfect for the project Reggae Sumfest from July 16-19, 2015 across three social media platforms for RETV Jamaica.
- Increase RETV’s followers on Instagram by 500 followers.
- To provide light coverage on Facebook and Twitter
- To provide media (photos & videos) of every performance for each night.
What originally should’ve been a 3 day campaign turned into a 5 day campaign. The first two days were used for lead up promotion and ticket giveaways and the last three nights for live social media blogging executed on site at Catherine Hall in Montego Bay. Each night’s coverage varied with a minimum coverage of 8 hours and a maximum of 11 hours. Coverage on Dancehall Night included the use of two live bloggers and coverage on International Nights had one live blogger.
- Start the promotion two days before the actual event on all platforms
- Provide ongoing, concise and accurate updates of every performance
- To promote the Reggae Sumfest Recap that would come on RETV one week later.
- Post photos of RETV’s host, Alexia, and publicize her wardrobe sponsor for the weekend, Flirt Boutique.
- Followers increased by 77
- There was no growth shown on Facebook
RETV’s Instagram followers increased by 542 followers at the end of Reggae Sumfest. On Thursday July 16 before Reggae Sumfest, they had 4,508 followers and on Sunday July 19 they had 5,050 followers.
The following photos were reposted by performing acts at Reggae Sumfest
The photo of J. Hud in black was taken by RETV (Source: Jennifer Hudson Instagram )
- Being further away from the stage in the VIP section gave a wider shot of the stage in photography.
- Instagram proved to be the best platform for an event such as Reggae Sumfest as during the early hours of the morning (between 1 am – 7 am) interaction on Twitter and Facebook were low.
- Having one social media manager at the event for International Nights 1 & 2 had its disadvantages as the main stages and the mini stages were too far from each other to go back and forth.
- Start querying about accreditation/transportation/accommodations at least 3 weeks prior to an event.
Overall the social media coverage on RETV’s social media was successful. 90% of the performances were captured and the quality photos and videos made them stand out among other brands that covered the event. To make an event of this nature be more successful, social media preparation would need to start at least a month before the event.